In 2002, researchers reported in the Japanese Journal of Pharmacology that the simple act of inhaling Patchouli oil reduced anxiety by 40%. Considering that even before the pandemic 1 in 4 people in the UK experienced some type of mental health problem in 20171, aromatherapy begs to be at the forefront of our wellbeing arsenal.
With the UK standing below average for mental wellbeing, ranking 20th of 27 countries in the EU in 2012, and the number of antidepressants dispensed in England more than doubling in the last decade1, it would be wise to investigate alternative strategies.
We need more non-pharmaceutical options to help us cope with daily stress, anxiety, depression and problems sleeping. Incorporating aromatherapy into basic daily rituals, like moisturising or wearing deodorant, is so easy and may also be an effective alternative.
Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plant extracts and essential oils to promote physical and psychological wellbeing. These powerful botanicals are used worldwide in traditional medicine to help manage depression, anxiety, stress and insomnia.
Can inhaling essential oils help boost your mood?
Research has shown there are certain essential oils that may be beneficial. If you’re incorporating aromatherapy into your personal care routine, Look for products that contain organic, high-grade essential oils from the list below.
Top 7 Essential Oils for anxiety, stress, depression and insomnia
1. Frankincense: This sacred oil is very effective as a sedative. It induces a feeling of mental peace, relaxation, satisfaction and spirituality. It also awakens insight, makes you more introspective and lowers anxiety, anger and stress. There are also some fascinating studies being done that show Frankincense has powerful anti-cancer properties2.
2. Patchouli: This soothing essential oil works by stabilising and grounding the mind. It diminishes feelings of anxiety and depression and helps in the recovery from nervous stress and exhaustion.
3. Lavender: It turns out that many flowers are well-suited to calm the human body and soul, bringing them back into greater balance. Lavender oil has been studied for the ability to reduce stress, anxiety, aggression, and cortisol levels3.
4. Carrot Seed: Slightly sweet, woody, and earthy, this oil has a grounding effect yet is also revitalising to the nervous system. Carrot Seed aids mental clarity, calms anxiety and strengthens your inner ability to ‘let go and move on’.
5. Rose Geranium: This bright and rosy aroma is one that everyone loves. Instantly calming, Rose Geranium helps your body balance its hormonal levels and promotes feelings of relaxation.
6. Rosemary: This oil is a mental stimulant that helps counter depression, nervous exhaustion, frequent mood swings, stress disorders and helps uplift your spirit. Inhaling the evergreen aroma of this oil will enhance mental clarity, relaxation and help keep your thoughts positive.
7. Grapefruit: This is a wonderful energising oil that helps lift your mood, ease nausea and boost your immune system.
Looking for natural skin care with aromatherapy benefits? Check out our full range here.
 http://content.digital.nhs.uk, Antidepressants show greatest increase in number of prescription items dispensed, 2016 Jul 5
 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664784/, Frankincense oil derived from Boswellia carteri induces tumor cell specific cytotoxicity, 2009 Mar 18; doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-9-6
 Sioh Kim, Hyun-Jae Kim, Jin-Seok Yeo, Sung-Jung Hong, Ji-Min Lee, Younghoon Jeon. The effect of lavender oil on stress, bispectral index values, and needle insertion pain in volunteers. J Altern Complement Med. 2011 Sep ;17(9):823-6. Epub 2011 Aug 19. PMID: 21854199