As consumers ourselves, we find it very frustrating when a business uses sustainability buzz words but doesn’t really share the detail behind them. We put a lot of time and energy into making sure that everything we do at Awake Organics is better than the month before.
So, we want to make sure that you know what we’re doing at Awake Organics – what makes us an Ethical, Green, Sustainable, and Cruelty-Free. Because we are passionate about building a business that is based on transparency, and is good for people AND the planet.
This is our difference:
1) We have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. That means you can try our products for a full 30 days, and if you’re not happy we’ll give your money back or exchange your order for something else – it’s up to you.
2) Awake Organics is a family business. Our products are made in England, by hand. We have a small and skilled production team based in Buckinghamshire. We also have some of our products handmade by manufacturers in England when we won’t have the specialised equipment to do the job ourselves. We pick, pack and ship all your orders ourselves. We create our own content and design our own packaging too. Keeping a close hand on every step of your customer journey is a rarity in this industry! We’re proud to say that we pay our team above living wage as well.
3) We only source our ingredients, labels, and paper packaging from trusted suppliers based in the UK, EU, US and Germany. Every one of our ingredients must fit in at least one of these five criteria: Soil Association Certified Organic, Fair-trade, Wild-crafted, Cold-Pressed or Local (small producer without certification but grows using organic farming methods), or Biodegradable.
4) Our packaging is made from recyclable glass, food grade aluminium and card. Our card packaging is made seven miles from our studio, using recycled FSC materials and is printed with biodegradable vegetable inks. We only use plastic where necessary to ensure that you get the best results possible (ie. droppers and pumps).
5) We are a certified cruelty-free brand (Leaping Bunny approved). We do not test on animals or use ingredients known to be unhealthy for humans or the planet. We are certified by Leaping Bunny, the best assurance that a company has made a genuine commitment to ending animal testing.
6) We use cold-pressed Hemp Seed Oil across our natural skin care range because it is the most sustainable crop available – and it’s amazing for your skin. Hemp crops require almost no water, pesticides, herbicides and they actually replenish the soil and sequester carbon.
7) We conserve water by leaving it out of the majority of our formulas. Most products don’t need it.
8) We review our environmental impact policy and ethos annually to ensure that we are leaving as little impact on the planet as possible.
Our focus in 2022 was all about streamlining our manufacturing footprint and fostering relationships with sustainable suppliers. New products were developed with waterless multi-functionalism as top features. We revamped formulas where ingredient scarcity was on the cards, incorporating higher yield, locally available, organically-grown substitutes. We switched our organic shea butter to fairtrade, providing women of the Sub-Saharan Savannah-Sahel with a secured income for their family. We also tested a variety of product refill packaging options. This continues to be a work in progress. We also added multiple product bundles to our offering, which reduces the number of parcels each customer might receive in a year and saves on transportation emissions and costs.
We officially launched as a plastic free brand! Our commitment to the safeguarding the environment and leaving as little impact as possible continues. Where plastic is required for dispensing thick or liquid products (pump, droppers), we offer plastic free refills, enabling customers to choose and re-use. Our unique formulations lend themselves to less conventional but more eco-friendly packaging in the industry, and that is a key driver behind new product development at Awake Organics.
2019 – 2020
We launched our closed-loop return program, #ZeroWaste500Club, which enabled you to return your glass jars and earn discounts off future purchases. The pilot program was planned to run initially for 12 months with a minimum goal of recirculating 500 jars, and reducing CO2 emissions by 4.3 tonnes (otherwise generated to produce and transport new glass). Unfortunately, on March 16 2020 the program was suspended due to heightened Covid-19 measures surrounding hygiene and person/product contact. However, the program was successful overall and we were able to refurbish 398 jars in the ten months that it ran. Our pilot was featured in Forbes Magazine and inspired several other businesses from the beauty and beverage industries to create a similar scheme.
We refreshed our packaging to make it even more eco-friendly. In doing so we were able to reduce our waste by 30%. We also switched the business over to renewable energy and saved 5,644 kg of CO2. That’s the weight of one orca and the equivalent of planting 2,822 trees!
PS. We’re always happy to hear from you if you have any suggestions to help us do better! Get in touch anytime.